Want flawless make-up every time? Of course you do! If you have ever wondered how A-list celebrities achieve such amazing skin whether they attend premieres or appear sans make-up in gossip magazines, their secret is out – and it might surprise you! Contrary to popular belief, they don’t spend thousands of dollars. And the best part is you don’t have to, either. It all comes down to a routine that is so simple to perform, that you can do it in less than 15 minutes!
Your skin is your largest organ and performs so many essential tasks for your body, so it pays to look after it well. One of the reasons why having good skin is so important is that healthy skin is better able to fight signs of ageing; it heals much faster; and protects your body from bacteria that it is exposed to daily.
Ensure your make-up lasts throughout the day and avoid that cakey complexion by preparing skin for make-up with these five simple steps below:
Five essential steps before applying make-up:
1. Cleanse your skin: This is an obvious step in the process of achieving a flawless base: the Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser helps to remove all traces of dirt from the skin’s surface. This should be your first step in preparing your face before applying make-up. All you need to do is gently massage the cleanser over your face and neck using fingertips, and be sure to rinse it off well with warm water.
2. Exfoliate: Exfoliating says ‘hasta la vista’ to the dead skin cells that are just too stubborn to leave the skin’s surface. By exfoliating with a product such as the Vitamin C Glow Boosting Microdermabrasion, you are uncovering the new, smooth skin without irritation. Especially formulated for sensitive skin types but perfect for use on all skin, this product will leave your skin feeling soft, smooth, and perfect for makeup application.
3. Apply a serum: The next step is to use a serum such as Vitamin C Skin Boost from The Body Shop to help seal in moisture that may have been lost from exfoliating. This is a crucial step to complete after exfoliating as the pores have just had a deep clean and are almost makeup-ready.
4. Moisturise: The second last step in prepping your skin for make-up is to moisturise. Using a product from the new skincare range from The Body Shop such as the Oils of Life™ Intensely Revitalising Gel Cream, a moisturiser will plump up your skin, providing an even surface for makeup application. Don’t forget, a little moisturiser goes a long way, so use sparingly!
5. Primer: Make-up artists use a face primer before applying make-up as it fills in unwanted gaps in the skin, leaving it smooth for makeup application. For best results, use a primer that contains silicone as this will act as a protective barrier that prevents your moisturiser and skin’s oils from combining with your makeup. The Tea Tree Pore Minimiser from The Body Shop is a great example of a primer that will help your make-up sit faultlessly on your skin.
Now that you have properly prepared your face before applying make-up, you can now begin to use foundation and the rest of your favourite products on your newly clean, even skin.
By properly preparing your skin for make-up, you are sure to achieve a radiant, even finish so that everyone will notice your skin first, and then your make-up. Your face is a canvas and just like any piece of art, the products won’t sit well unless you do a bit of ground work. Just by following the five aforementioned steps, you can accomplish an envy-worthy complexion – no Instagram filter needed!
Take a look at our make-up range here>