For centuries, women have perfected the art of looking good, whether it be from the careful application of make up or the maintenance of a daily skincare regime, using true and tested products with powerful ingredients. Since the start of the century however, men have finally taken a greater interest in the health of their skin and overall appearance, with some women now fighting for precious bathroom shelf space with their boyfriends or male housemates! Thankfully, if you are a guy, taking care of your skin and looking good isn’t as complicated or intimidating as you might think. For starter’s male skin tends to be thicker than women’s and is generally less sensitive to ingredients found in common skincare products. Men typically don’t wear makeup either, which further simplifies male grooming routines. So what exactly should you do to get your most precious asset (your face) looking as good as new? Here’s a few handy tips to get you started:
SKINCARE TIP #1 – Use a Facial Cleanser Day & Night
Our skin is our body’s largest and most sensitive organ, facing daily exposure to the harsh chemicals in our physical environment, ranging from exhaust fumes, deodorants, climate control systems and every other irritant you can imagine. Over time, particles from these air-borne chemicals can gradually build-up on the skin’s surface, blocking pores which leads to acne and other visible blemishes. Thankfully, face wash and cleansers are a highly efficient, yet gentle way to remove this built-up, cleansing dirt and grime from male skin and providing a more ‘polished’ appearance. Simply applying a gel or lotion-based cleanser in a gentle circular motion every morning or night whilst you’re in the shower or brushing your teeth will do the trick!
- Dirt and grime gradually build-ups on skin’s surface from exposure to everyday chemicals
- Facial cleansers are great way to gently remove this build-up without overdrying skin
- Use cleanser twice a day, morning and night in the shower or whilst brushing teeth
SKINCARE TIP #2 – Invest in a Good Quality Shaver or Razors
A lot of guys go for cheap, disposable razors from their local supermarket which get the job done, but not as efficiently or delicately as possible. Since men tend to shave quite regularly (with some pulling out the razor 5 days a week), it’s well worth investing money in a good quality electric shaver or razor blade brand. Another important male grooming tip to remember is to apply a soothing and moisturising shaving cream to your beard/facial hair before shaving, to soften coarse hairs and prepare your skin for the smoothest shave possible.
- Invest in good quality electric shaver or razor blade brand, especially if you shave regularly
- Apply soothing, moisturising shaving cream to facial hair before shaving to get the smoothest result possible
SKINCARE TIP #3 – Apply a Soothing Aftershave Balm
Having enjoyed a close, smooth shave your skin will be a lot more sensitive than normal, given the process of shaving literally strips male skin of the protective barrier formed by its outermost layer. To combat any sensitivity and redness, be sure to apply a soothing aftershave balm which will tighten your pores and help the skin naturally re-form its protective barrier. Whilst most modern aftershave balms contain soothing ingredients like aloe vera, some still contain alcohol which should be avoided – as it dries out the skin.
- Shaving strips the skin of its natural, protective barrier
- Combat any post-shave redness or irritation with a soothing aftershave balm
- Avoid balms with alcohol – as this dries out the skin
SKINCARE TIP #4 – Make Moisturiser Your Best Friend
Of all the men’s skincare tips listed here, arguably the most important (alongside wearing daily SPF sunscreen) is to apply a gentle
moisturiser to your face and neck every morning and/or night (twice a day is ideal). Even better if you can combine a facial moisturiser with SPF (sun protection factor)! Moisturiser’s are essential for restoring the skin’s moisture content and softness which will directly lead to a fresher, younger appearance. If your skin is particularly sensitive than opting for a moisturiser with aloe vera will calm down irritation whilst reducing redness and other blemishes.
- Moisturiser is one of the most important skincare products, helping restoring skin’s natural moisture content and softness
- Apply moisturiser to your face daily (ideally morning and night)
- Combine with SPF Sunscreen or even better, invest in a Mosituriser with SPF protection
SKINCARE TIP #5 – Protect Your Skin with SPF Sunscreen
Finally, don’t forget to protect your skin with a proper SPF Sunscreen (SPF 50+ is ideal), especially if you live in a sunny environment which applies to many parts of Australia. Not only will a good sunscreen protect your skin from unsightly sunburn (and wrinkles later down the track), it could literally save your life by preventing skin cancer, moles and other dangerous lesions which are caused by repeated sun damage. Combined with daily use of a good moisturiser, sunscreen is one of the secret tools for staying forever young!
- Sunscreen is essential for protecting your skin from sun damage and wrinkles later on
- Apply daily to exposed areas of skin (face, neck, arms, legs etc)
- Combined with a good moisturiser, SPF sunscreen is the secret for staying forever young!
SHOP OUR MEN’S SKINCARE & GROOMING RANGE